The 3D Programme - Discovering, Developing and Delivering in Healthcare - is a free educational programme open to GPs, Hospital Based Doctors, Public Health Doctors, Dentists and Pharmacists who have completed training.
The 3D Programme is provided by the Revalidation Support Unit (RSU) of Health Education and Improvement Wales. It is designed to address the educational requirements of clinicians who wish to extend their abilities in engaging with, and influencing, the service improvement agenda in NHS Wales.
The 3D Programme aims to:
- Increase capacity to engage in the improvement of the NHS in Wales
- Enhance ability to work within and to lead teams
- Recognise and manage the barriers preventing improvement in patient care
- Develop opportunities which can lead to improvements in the quality of care
- Apply aspects of organisational theory to work place and project
- Gain insights into the local NHS organisational development, to improve the delivery of care
- Become part of a network of clinicians with a broadened understanding of the NHS with experience of trying to effect change at a local or national level.
Due to Covid 19 the 3D Programme has been developed to allow us to offer the programme virtually. Access to the resources and the virtual classroom of the HEIW Leadership Portal will enhance the programme whilst retaining the option of blending with some face-to-face learning, should opportunities arise later in the year. Seven modules will focus on applying new learning on key topic areas to the development of an individual project. The programme will run from October to May. Modules will be released sequentially, with planned dates/times for the online activities (see below).
- Module 1: Introduction to the 3D Programme and getting to know the group.
- Module 2: "I'm a clinician – Why don't these people understand me?" Understanding how the culture of an organisation can help you to influence the people working there positively.
- Module 3: Project skills for clinicians. Identifying obstacles and finding ways to overcome them in order to make a project successful.
- Module 4: Practical business skills. Writing an effective business case and getting the most from meetings.
- Module 5: Negotiating skills. Creating a win-win situation within the workplace.
- Module 6: Presentation skills. Persuading people that you are right......!
- Module 7: Leadership skills. Developing leadership skills that enable clinicians to respond to a variety of situations.
‘These modules have all been very good. It's a really good introduction to management and leadership skills and I always go away thinking about how I can apply certain skills and tactics to my day to day working’ (Attendee, 2019).
3D Programme Dates
Virtual delivery planned with the option of some face-to-face delivery.
Wednesday 14 October 2020
Wednesday 18 November 2020
Wednesday 16 December 2020
Wednesday 27 January 2021
Wednesday 3 March 2021
Wednesday 28 April 2021
Wednesday 26 May 2021
Further information can be found in the attached 2019 Annual Report and if you have any questions about the process, please do not hesitate to contact Hilary or the RSU CPD Administrative Team at HEIW.CPDAdmin@wales.nhs.uk.
To apply, please complete the attached application form and return to: HEIW.CPDAdmin@wales.nhs.uk. The closing date is Friday 28th August. All applicants will be notified by Friday 11 September.