The 3D Programme is a free educational programme open to GPs, Hospital Based Doctors, Public Health Doctors, Dentists and Pharmacists.
The 3D Programme is provided by the Revalidation Support Unit (RSU) of tHealth Education and Improvement Wales. It is designed to address the educational requirements of doctors who wish to extend their abilities in engaging with, and influencing, the service improvement agenda in NHS Wales. As well as developing strong clinical leadership at locality level, the programme supports local engagement and understanding.
The 3D Programme aims to:
- Increase capacity to engage in the improvement of the NHS in Wales
- Enhance ability to work within and to lead teams
- Recognise and manage the barriers preventing improvement in patient care
- Develop opportunities which can lead to improvements in the quality of care
- Apply aspects of organisational theory to work place and project
- Gain insights into the local NHS organisational development, to improve the delivery of care
- Become part of a network of clinicians with a broadened understanding of the NHS with experience of trying to effect change at a local or national level.
- Six one day modules per year in South Wales (Port Talbot)
- Three one day modules per year in North Wales (Wrexham)
The programme runs from September to May and consists of six modules and applicants are encouraged to attend all of the modules.
- Morning session, Project Clinic: structured session utilising group approach to problem solving on individual projects, please click here for more on 3D projects.
- Afternoon session, Skills and Knowledge: A combination of programme facilitators and external speakers.
- Module 1: "I'm a Clinician – Why don't these people understand me?" Understanding how the culture of an organisation can help you to influence the people working there positively.
- Module 2: Project skills for doctors:Identifing obstacles and finding ways to overcome them in order to make a project successful.
- Module 3: Practical business skills:Writing an effective business case and getting the most from meetings.
- Module 4: Negotiating skills: Creating a win-win situation within the workplace
- Module 5: Leadership skills: Developing leadership skills that enable clinicians to respond to a variety of situations.
- Module 6: Presentation skills: Persuading people that you are right......!
We have developed 4 interactive learning modules based on the content of the 3D programme, focussing on; Engaging & Influencing Skills, developed from 4 of the topics covered in the programme. These include Presentation Skills, Organisational Cultures, Running Better Meetings and Writing Effective Business Cases.
"The 3D programme helped me to solve problems, predict barriers, helped provide solutions, provided me time to think, and kept me going!"
"The 3D programme will undoubtedly affect my future vision as a doctor in a very positive way. I now feel more prepared and informed about how to manage future challenges in my professional life."
3D Developing Doctors to Deliver Programme - Recruitment - Open June 2019
I am pleased to inform you that the recruitment process for the Health Education and Improvement Wales’ 3D Developing Doctors to Deliver Programme is now open.
This is available to all doctors, dentists and pharmacists within NHS Wales who have completed training.
The programme consists of six modules outlined in the accompanying information. In South Wales, the 3D Developing Doctors to Deliver Programme runs from September 2019 until May 2020 in the Port Talbot Resource Centre, Moor Road, Port Talbot. SA12 7BJ. In North Wales, the 3D Developing Doctors to Deliver Programme runs over two years from September 2019 until May 2021, with three modules being completed in each year. The venue for North Wales is the Wrexham Postgraduate Centre, Wrexham Medical Institute, Technology Park, Croesnewydd Road, Wrexham. LL13 7YP.
3D South Dates:
Wednesday 2 October 2019
Wednesday 6 November 2019
Wednesday 11 December 2019
Wednesday 12 February 2020
Wednesday 11 March 2020
Wednesday 6 May 2020
3D North Dates:
Wednesday 25 September
Wednesday 8 January 2020
Wednesday 22 April 2020
For detailed information about the 3D Developing Doctors to Deliver Programme please see attached documents below.
The closing date for all applications is at 9.00am on Sunday 30 June.
All applicants will be notified about the success of their application by Friday 19 July.
If you have any questions about the process, please do not hesitate to email us at HEIW.CPDAdmin@wales.nhs.uk
HEIW CPD Admin Team